Saturday, March 13, 2010

Can you paint upholstery with normal spray paint from the hardware store? Such as Acrylic or oil base?

I live in Canada and I can't seem to find any stores that sell upholstery paint. Can I use acrylic paint spray to spray my couch? Will it rub off on clothing? I have a heavily stained couch that has rough and stiff fabric. I'm not too worried if the paint is too stiff unless it cracks. I don't want the paint to crack. Is it safe to spray paint my couch with normal paint? If not could you recommend a different kind?





thanksCan you paint upholstery with normal spray paint from the hardware store? Such as Acrylic or oil base?
Dear Midi... !





In India all type of fabric paints available and you can watch these, by giving same identity on orkut.com of aadityaluv@gmail.com


feel free to watch and ask for here.


All the best!!!!








yes it is my creation,


I am a journalist from IIMC New Delhi India.Can you paint upholstery with normal spray paint from the hardware store? Such as Acrylic or oil base?
I wouldn't recommend paint. It would make the surface very uncomfortable for seating. I suggest buying fabric dye (Rit brand for example), and mis it in a bucket. Use rubber gloves and a sponge and dye the fabric instead. I did this on a cream colored couch and it worked perfectly. Be sure to read the instructions for setting the dye and also protect any other surface where you are working. Be sure not to overly wet the upholstery and it should dry in a reasonable amout of time. Good Luck!! Also, the color did not transfer onto any other clothing or surface after drying!
Any kind of paint is going to come off and flake when used on fabric.





If you really can't find fabric paint, you can use any type of latex paint. All you need to do is find ';fabric medium';. This is an additive used to make paint penetrate fabric.
wouldn't use spray paint


I would use a fabric dye or even marker or a food coloring mix depending on the type of upholstery and then seal it.


Another recommendation is to use a slip cover


or flip the cushion
the paint will be sticky and probably come off on your clothes. i wouldnt suggest it. find a fabric paint or get a new couch. spray paint would be bad.
  • pores
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment