Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Can I use regular spray paint on canvas? Is it too harsh for canvas, will it eat away over time or is it ok?

As long as the canvas is sealed or primed with gesso there should be no problem. The harsh odour from spray paint is generally caused by the propellant - or sometimes the solvent if it's enamel paint - both of which evaporate fairly rapidly and won't cause any harm to the substrate.Can I use regular spray paint on canvas? Is it too harsh for canvas, will it eat away over time or is it ok?
You can but it will (if the spray paint is not super durable) come off in a fine powder (but won't do much to the canvas) I used to spray paint on primed canvas all the time. I think that the outdoor spray paints worked better...I had gold that did not come off...but when I tried the neon colors, they came off my painting (wayy after they dried--the brand was ';short cuts'; no thanks to short cuts...) and they came off in my car...ugh...anyway...just always stick to the whole buy a little more quality and get better results thing and never try to use spray paint over oil paint...yeah I know but sometimes you forget science...

No comments:

Post a Comment