Sunday, March 7, 2010

Can I paint with acrylic on a spray painted board?

Do I have to put a coat on top of the spray paint? is it safe to use masking tape? Anything to becareful? the spray paint is my background ( i don't want to paint a solid color background with acrlic, thats tough.)Can I paint with acrylic on a spray painted board?
Masking tape is fine. Wait until the paint is dry to remove it.Same with the spray paint;wait 'til it's dry then you can paint over ir.Can I paint with acrylic on a spray painted board?
If it's enamel or any other oil based spray paint, no you can't paint directly on top of it with acrylics because they won't adhere. There is a type of primer you can use to paint on top of oil based paints to prepare the surface for painting with acrylics. I don't remember what its called but if you call an art supply store the staff should be able to tell you what to use.





If you're not sure what type of paint is on the board just paint a small area with acrylic paint thinned with water. If it beads up instead of spreading, you will need to use that primer! Otherwise even if you get the acrylic to stick by painting it on really thick, it will easily peel off when dry! I'm a professional artist and I had to paint a mural in acrylics on a wall painted with enamel before, so I know.
You can paint over the spray coating as long as it's not an oil based paint. If it is oil and then painted with acrylic, it might look good at first but it will eventually peel off. Some artists suggest roughing the surface to make the acrylic adhere better. If you haven't started yet, then just start with acrylic spray to save yourself time.


Masking tape is fine, but the best kind is painters blue tape because it will not leave any gummy residue.


Also, if the board starts warping, this can often be remedied by coating the reverse side with another layer of paint or spray.
The three advices you already got are correct. I guess you just have to experiment even on a small canvas to discover how art materials respond to each other. The Glenn Bautista yessy site is super. I think we can learn a lot from him for he is not selfish about his painting procedures. Thanks for your question, learned something today myself.
I think it will be okay - I haven't personally tried that, but it seems like Acrylic paint has worked well on almost every surface I've tried it on.
Sure, you can. Acrylic paint adheres to almost anything except when the surface is oily especially if the surface is a bit sanded with a fine sandpaper. Also, you may use a not very sticky masking tape to do a mask off, or not press the tape too hard. View this artist's site, he is my favorite artist:





http://www.yessy.com/glennbautista/2006Oils.html





He even shares and explains the process. . in this link, his large-format oils. Do click on his different artworks at his menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment