Thursday, March 11, 2010

What is the best brand of canned spray primer and paint to use for painting motorcycle forks?

I am painting the forks on my Honda motorcycle. They are metal, although I'm not sure what kind of metal, and I have sanded them down with 400 then 800. It took a lot of sanding to remove even a little of the old silver paint, so I'm also wondering how many coats I should give, and if I should use some kind of a laquer or clear coat over the paint, and how many coats of that? I guess I'm not too sure about anything :) Help?What is the best brand of canned spray primer and paint to use for painting motorcycle forks?
SEM spray paint, found at any auto body supply store.





Dust coats till its covered. Figure a fork would take 1 full can.





SEM carries all kinds of colors, clears and types. Best paint you can buy in a spray can, used them for yrs with my high line automotive cosmetics company.





http://www.sem.ws/What is the best brand of canned spray primer and paint to use for painting motorcycle forks?
number of coats depends on the color and the color of the primer or fork. if say gray primer and painting black, it will take the least coats. if it is gray primer and painting it red, it will take the most coats for reds are transparent.

Report Abuse



now if its a red primer and then going red, it will take less coats but still more than black. this is why I stated 1 can should easily cover the forks, no matter the color, if red, it might take some of a 2nd can.

Report Abuse



Plus not seeing the forks, or a picture, no clue how large, how much design, etc is on them that will take paint, angle of painting and then figure in over spray loss. Any info you want, email me.

Report Abuse



and 800 grit is find for SEM paint, 400 grit will show marks

Report Abuse



sem is good but rough them up with 400


800 is too smooth

No comments:

Post a Comment