Sunday, March 7, 2010

Can I spray Latex paint through a spray gun?

Hi, I am about to do some painting. The material is security screen, which is sheetmetal with little holes in it. It is going to be sandblasted clean. The paint I will be using is Behr Ultra Premium, the one that is a paint and primer in the same can, and will be latex, custom mixed for color. I have a 60 gallon compressor, and a Harbor Freight spray gun. It is a HPLV gun, and has a 2 pint cup. I tried to get specs on it but it is no longer carried at H.F.. It works at 40 PSI at the paint cup and 10 PSI at the air-cup. I understand the paint can only be thinned less than 5%. I wanted to know if I can run the latex through the gun, will it hurt the gun, and/or will the paint look crappy when applied? Thanks!!!Can I spray Latex paint through a spray gun?
Something does not add up. All the HVLP systems I know do not use a compressor, just a turbine. I have sprayed latex enamels with a HVLP sprayer, but I did not use a compressor. It will not hurt any spray gun, but cleaning will be a chore. Have plenty of denatured alcohol around. Start cleaning with water and then use the alcohol for the fine residue.





The 40/10 psi you mention sounds like you are using a conventional siphon feed gun. They do not do well with latex paints. The main thing to watch for is the fluid cap and the needle, they determine what viscosity of finishes will work with the gun. Without having the manual for you gun, maybe take it to a good paint store and see what they say about it.





By far the best system for spraying latex paints is an airless spray system. It might be worth it to rent one. The hours saved might pay for the rental. Hope this helps.Can I spray Latex paint through a spray gun?
may i am conffused also. u did say u where spraying metal? is that paint designed for metal. most paint used for that is enamel only which u use thinner on to thin and cleanup. most latex paint is water cleanup and water and metal do not mix unless u have a good primer on it. i may be wrong andnot aware of this type. excuse me if i am.

No comments:

Post a Comment